Total Pageviews

Friday, November 19, 2010

Hamilton eateries revealed!

So once again I find myself in New Zealand visiting my boyfriend.
I realise that there are still no good reliable places to get reviews and ideas on where to get anything to eat. The best and most reliable way to get information like that is always to ask the people who live here. Thankfully at least in New Zealand most everyone speaks English (Queen's English) as the main language. I have decided to post photographs and reviews on the places I/we have eaten or been to. This will include shops, places to eat, spots to catch a movie and more.


I have been here for about 5 days now so I have 2 reviews to post already.


The first of these is a bit on the expensive side but well worth the splurge for a special date.
Smith and Mckenzie [chophouse]
Is a fantastic steakhouse here in hamilton. Also the only place I have found in the city that serves prime rib, the dish I ordered. It's a 500g huge prime rib of beef. 
They do have a website http://www.smithandmckenzie.co.nz/ and they recommend calling ahead to reserve a cut of the prime rib if you plan to have that meal 24 hours in advance. I did not do this and got the very last one. I chose the garlic jus sauce which has a bit of red wine in it, just enough to add depth but not to make it taste like wine with a side of meat. It came with lovely herb roasted potatoes which I thought needed salt but hey I personally always want more salt so decide that for yourself. We got a side of mushrooms and split the whole meal. At the end we ordered the special dessert which was a trio of Icecream flavours. After dinner mint, Dark chocolate, Strawberry. I know the flavours sound kinda plain but they were really amazing deep rich flavour. (I do not have photos of the dessert I'm sorry for that.)

The second place I have to review is a "Tex Mex" place that I went to many times my last trip LONESTAR. Website:http://lonestar.co.nz/
Let's set the record here people. Many of the so called "Tex Mex" dishes they server are NOT authentic. They are asian style made with hoisin sauce. 
However that does not mean the food here is bad! I have liked everything I have gotten there the "Redneck ribs" are a pork rib slab with a hoisin glaze. They have something called a LoneStar Loaf which is a home baked white bread loaf served with garlic butter. (To be honest this bread is some of the best I have ever had)  There are some gems here that are pretty authentic and are 100% yummy! The "Prawn Star" is a huge shrimp dish that is covered in a spicy chunky sauce that reminds me of home back in the states. It's served with basmati rice instead of Mexican fried rice but I like rice of any colour. 
Now let's get to the bit you read all this for shall we?
DESSERT here they have a lovely selection of  "Pudding" (They use the word pudding instead of dessert here.)
Banoffe pie which is an english pie. The pie here is a rich caramel with some bananas and whip cream sliding down on each side of the slice. 
The other dessert I have ordered there many times it's the signature New Zealand dessert Pavlova. At LoneStar "Kiwi Pavlova" It's a meringue-based dessert with whip cream and a dip of ice cream. To cut all the loads upon loads of sweet they have tart sauces made from fresh fruit. In this photo passion fruit and raspberry. 

1 comment: