Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Differences in New Zealand and American Foodstuffs.

Oh yes let us start with dairy.
DAIRY
Things that are dairy or meat product related here taste very different due to the "Free Farming" they do in New Zealand. It is much like the "free range" you hear so much about although there is no legal definition for "free range".
You can see the meaning of "free farmed" when you drive around here. The animals are free to roam nice size chunks of land and have shade trees with which to keep cool in the heat of the summer. The taste is less sweet because they are fed grass instead of a corn based food as they are fed in many places in the US. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the taste of either it just needs to be expressed that the taste is not the same.
The photograph above shows some triple chocolate ice cream, topped with heavy cream and then chocolate sauce.

MEATS
Meat is different in much the same way. Beef has a very different flavour than it does in the steaks at home. This time I'm afraid I really am not certain how to explain the taste. The best I think I can offer as an explanation is that it's again less sweet. 


SODA And OTHER
Okay same deal back home in the USA we use corn syrup to sweeten things like soft drinks. Here plain sugar is used which makes the drinks you think you know and love very different! Personally I like both kinds for different reasons. It's important to note when reading my blog that the things posted here are based on my experiences and tastes. Not everything I say means you will feel the same way.


Update on what we have been up to!
We again went out do dinner at an old favourite from last year LONESTAR. 



I did a review on this place in my first entry. 
These are photos from last year.


We also caught a movie the other day. Anyone else see RED?
It's a fantastic movie. It's funny and the action was really good as well. 
Check it out!

Uh.. I feel like I had more to say here...
Thank you for reading as always!
-Ginn

No comments:

Post a Comment